- Simple DNS Plus
- What's New
- News story
New software versioning policy
Monday, 18 April 2016
We are about to release a new version of Simple DNS Plus, which brought up the question about what version number to assign to this.
Up to now, we have assigned each new software release a version number based on how significant we felt that the upgrade was relative to previous releases.
Simple DNS Plus was completely rewritten (for .Net) between v. 4.00 and v. 5.0. Therefore it has not ”felt” right to increment the major version number since then - as no amount or scale of new features could compare to a full rewrite.
However, several customers have expressed that incrementing only the minor version number signaled to them that the upgrade was only a small or insignificant update, and that they were confused that they had to pay for such an upgrade.
This makes a lot of sense, and looking back at the feature sets of Simple DNS Plus v. 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3, we realize that we really should have assigned a new major version number (6.0, 7.0, and 8.0) to each of these.
Therefore, we are hereby instituting a new versioning policy (and paid upgrade policy).
Version number structure: <major>.<minor>.<build>
From now on:
- <major> is incremented when there is a new major feature, a bunch of new minor features, or when we significantly restructure the software.
- <major> increment = paid upgrade.
- <minor> is incremented when there are just a few new minor features, or when we make minor structural changes.
- <minor> increment = free upgrade.
- <build> is incremented for bug fixes / minor non-structural updates to existing features.
- <build> increment = free upgrade.
For future major versions, we will only maintain the latest minor within a major. In other words, once Simple DNS Plus v. 6.1 is released, we will no longer maintain v. 6.0 (licensed users of v. 6.0 can upgrade to 6.1 free).
We will provide support and critical updates (such as security fixes) for:
- The current version.
- Any version which was current (offered for sale) within the last 2 years.
- Any major version first released within the last 3 years.
We will continue our ”one year free upgrade” policy, meaning that any new major version released within one year of your latest purchase (new or upgrade) is free.
So in conclusion, the next version of Simple DNS Plus will be v. 6.0 (has major new features and has been significantly restructured).